Thursday, January 24, 2008

Storage and the City

Photo: Francois Dischinger for Domino, April 2006

My recent move to a tiny apartment has forced me to be...clever...about where I store my belongings! While flipping through some inspiration tear sheets, I came across this wire shoe rack from Lowes (above and below) and love how it highlights the shoe, rather than hiding it in plastic or canvas over-the-door pockets! The only problem was that my little prewar apartment has narrow doors, making the front door the only one wide enough to support my recent purchase. So, very unlike myself, I put function before design (what?!) and hung the sucker on my front door! Please tell me if you think it's insanely terrible looking (haha). (And PS, I realize the mirror is too large in scale for the space it's in...and I'm working on it;)
Photo: James Merrell for Domino, March 2007


7 comments:

Style Saves the World said...

I think it's adorable!! Shoes as art.

style and grace said...

girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! Ur apartments seems adorable so far. More pics please!!

Pigtown*Design said...

My last house (600sf) only had 1 closet. What a pain. This house (700sf) has 2!

MABELLE said...

Pigtown-design- Wow! So it sounds like you understand! I'd love to see pics of your place!

Style saves the world and Style & Grace- thank you :) Hopefully you're not just being nice! More pics will be posted most likely tomorrow (I'm waiting for my apt to get all sunny so I can take some good pics).

Suzy said...

its not that bad...and I love your shoe collection!

Paul Pincus said...

I love the shoes! It's like an installation piece. Holly Golightly might have done the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Side note......The overscaled mirror gives a sense of stylish whimsy.